Some of you who follow this blog know that I love to read. My wife affords me an added measure of grace and patience because every time she attempts to dust my bedside table, she has to move a small library of books. Also cluttering the table are all of my notes I take on the books I’m reading. Of course, one of the books that consistently absorbs my attention is my bible, the word of God.
I think it’s important for Christians today to understand that we should have a love for God’s word and that we have to work at making that love grow. Our God, in his infinite wisdom, has left behind, through the experiences of its writers, our bible. It is the most unique, profound, life-changing book you will ever read. So today, we will look at why the word of God should be our go-to resource for all things about God and his plan for us.
- The Word Shows God’s Creative Power– (“By the word of the Lord were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth”– Psalm 33:6). This passage reminds us that the power of his word spoke everything into existence.
- The Word is Alive- (“For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” –Hebrews 4:12). The word of God is not some old, dead document. It still guides and speaks to us today.
- The Word is Full of Surprises– The wisdom of the bible is filled with deep meaning. It can speak to us in different ways at different times in our lives yet the word never changes and is always perfect.
- The Word Revolves Around Jesus– (“You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me”-John 5:39). Jesus spoke these words teaching us that we meet him in the word and we get to know him there.
- The Word Brings People to Jesus– Through his word, God works to bring people to himself through Jesus Christ. The whole purpose of the bible is to redeem the lost for God.
Do you rejoice over the word of God? Do you value it like a precious treasure? Christians should hold on to the word of God with all the strength we have and more importantly, put it into practice. Only through action can the word of God realize its true potential.