Our thought life. The one place off-limits to everyone else but God. It’s also one of the hardest areas of ourselves to control. Our thoughts usually take on one of two natures and are usually dependent on what dwells within our hearts and minds. The first nature is our human, sinful nature. Satan uses this side of us to take our thoughts captive for him, forcing our minds and hearts into a prison of negativity, anger and filth. The other nature is the presence of God who lives within us as the Holy Spirit. He would have us use his word and his Spirit to control our thoughts and be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2).
“Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praisworthy- think about such things.”
If we look at this passage, we can see how the thoughts God would have us think are the opposite of those thoughts which are controlled by Satan and our flesh.
- Satan breeds lies and negativity….God wants us to dwell on the truth.
- Satan convinces us to be controlling and dishonest….God asks us to be noble.
- Satan tricks us to be self-righteous and distrustful….God would have our thoughts on what is right.
- For Satan, filth and perversion are the norm….God demands we live a pure life both in thought and in deed.
- Satan wants us wallowing in the ugly things of this world….God asks that we think about what is lovely.
- Satan whispers that gossip, profanity and judgment are acceptable….God encourages us to be admirable.
- Satan scares us with fear and unbelief….God would have us use our thoughts for praise.
Today is the day to take your thoughts captive for Christ. Stop allowing Satan and his delusions to take your mind away from God. Activate the mind of Christ within you through his Spirit by prayer and reading scripture. Allow the word of God to help you discern the good and evil that is around you so that even your thought life can belong to him (Hebrews 5:14).